Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Different Thanksgiving

It's late on Wednesday, the night before Thanksgiving.  But, it doesn't feel like Thanksgiving...or at least the one I'm used to.  It's been in the 70's and 80's the last two weeks, the kids are going to school tomorrow, and I have no plans to make a big meal, or even attend one.

No, Hong Kong doesn't really acknowledge Thanksgiving...but we are trying to be disciplined to show thanks anyway, and to spend our Thanksgiving a little differently this year.

One of the things that we are thankful for is that my children get to go to a wonderful school that keeps Christ the basis for what they do.  They have wonderful teachers who push them, academically as well as spiritually.  And, they teach an American curriculum, so they give the kids off on Friday and have been discussing Thanksgiving this past week.  Another amazing advantage of belonging to this school's community is the opportunity to be part of mission trips.  This is particularly important to us because Andy and I really wanted to prioritize missions while we were here.  So, instead of a big meal, and even being together, Andy and the three older children will be boarding a plane to the Philippines tomorrow evening for almost four days to serve the poor and homeless.   I will be at home with Abby and Sarah. Is this hard for us? Of course!  In fact, the closer the trip has gotten, the more challenging it has been to be positive and thankful for this opportunity.  But, it is a sacrifice we are willing to make.  What an amazing trip to be a part of and for my children to be involved with...life changing.  We are convinced that it is these moments that make our faith real and solid.  It will be hard for them...but it's in the times we are challenged that we have the chance to grow and mature the most. 

So while I am at home, missing them, I will be challenged as well.  Challenged to keep giving thanks and not to withhold praise.  I have been reminded of this in many different ways, but as my favorite devotional put it, giving thanks reminds us of our place with God.  It is from HIM whom our blessings flow, and our position is under His authority, not above Him or even beside Him. And even acknowledging this in a conversation with a friend this morning changed my perspective and my attitude.  This devotion even stated that when our hearts our thankful, and we are praising Him, we are ready to receive even more blessings.  I believe when our attitudes are right with the Lord, our eyes are opened and we are able to see so much more of what He gives us daily...we don't miss as much.  What a gift that is...to be able to see the gifts we are given from the God of the universe-because He loves us.

As I sit here in my shorts and t-shirt, I am thankful that it doesn't "feel" like a regular Thanksgiving...I think I would miss my friends and family even more...feel like I am missing out. I am thankful for the opportunity that Andy and the kids have to be the hands and feet of Christ. I am thankful for the friends He has already placed in our path and the great church He has allowed us to be a part of. I am thankful for the home He has given us and the community He has placed us in.  I am thankful for the extra pounds I will not be gaining because of a big meal.   And I am thankful that the Lord continues to teach us about who He is...He loves it when we give thanks and praise, and He loves to lavish us with gifts.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the gifts He's given you.
Our family at Sarah's dedication.  I am so thankful for these special people in my life, as well as the church this was taken in, and the people who were there to support us.  I love the memories attached to this photo.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, my aunt is spending Thanksgiving in the Philippines this year and has been sending daily updates of God's movement among the people she is meeting. Praying for Andy and the kids.

    ReplyDelete