Saturday, October 6, 2012

First Week in Hong Kong

It has been a crazy busy week...trying to cram lots of information in my tired head before our live-in saint, Rebecca, left for home yesterday.  Navigating the MTR (train system) wasn't too difficult, as I remembered a lot from our trips here in May.  The thing I struggle with the most, I realized, is the aspect that you are not in control.  I dislike being late, and sometimes it doesn't matter how far ahead I plan, the bus from our community to the MTR station could be running late...or the trains could be so packed that I cannot get on the first one that comes.  All of this is stretching me, and pinpoints my need for control.  There are lots of other areas of needing control...but this one seems to be at the top right now.

Another thing that has been most challenging is the homework.  It was a difficult decision to come to Hong Kong in shifts, but I am so glad the older children didn't miss any more school than they did.  The homework here is intense, and we are still trying to get a handle on it.  It is getting a little better now that they are catching up on what they missed, and getting used to it, as well.  But it is not uncommon for Josh, 1st grade, to have an hours worth of hw, Emma three hours, and Grace is often up until 10pm.  The other night, when Ron, Rebecca and Andy were out running errands, I was trying to figure out how to help all three.  I figured out that if I can get Emma done (who usually just needs encouragement, anyway), then she can help Josh (who usually has Chinese-which I can't help with, but Emma can) and then I can focus on Grace.

Finally, yesterday we said goodby to Ron and Rebecca...even writing this brings tears to my eyes.  It's not that I don't think we can survive without them...in fact, just this morning the Lord brought to my attention 2 Peter 1:3 (His divine power gives us everything we need for life and godliness...)but there is still a loneliness that I face, and even more importantly, I just appreciate and am so grateful for all that they did for us.  It was incredibly sacrificial of them to give a month's time of being together so that Rebecca could come to Hong Kong.  She encouraged, nurtured and loved on my older three children, watching out of for them and seeing them through this transition...all the while, trying to figure out the ins and outs of living here.  She supported Andy, pushed back when needed, and balanced him out when necessary.  And this past week she was incredibly helpful (cooking all week), making sure I knew pertinent information, and giving me opportunities to try things on my own, so I could have the confidence to know I could do it. And I could never had flown over by myself with my two littles, six 70lb bags/boxes and three carryons.  He was extremely patient and held a baby more in the last week than he has in his entire life.  Not to mention all of his technology expertise and being my husband's best friend...it was such a gift!

So our first week alone is upon us.  Abby begins school tomorrow and Andy and I are planning to ride the bus with the four kids, at least her first couple days.  I'm sure I will let you know how that goes...

Here are some pics from our travels and first weeks here...








3 comments:

  1. WOW! That is A LOT Of baggage!! LOL. SUch an adventure and I am thankful you are sharing it with us through this blog!! We will be sure to keep you all in our prayers as you go through this tough, yet exciting transition. Praying God gives you strength, flexibility and wisdom, and special friends in a distant land.....oh, and extra doses of encouragement on those harder and lonely days!! keep leaning on the Rock!(((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and I are sitting here discussing your adventure. I am speechless. God has truly gifted you with flexibility! You may not be feeling flexible in the midst of all of these challenges and changes, but you are! I love knowing how to pray for you guys!! So thankful you are reunited with the kiddos and Andy.

    Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you're recording this all. I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete